Friday, October 19, 2012

Missin' Fishin'

I moved to Cleveland, Ohio from Virginia Beach, Va. 9 years ago. Everyone who learns this asks me why the heck I would do something like that.  I just explain that I lived on the beach (well not like a beach bum).. but actually across the street from the beach. Walk over the dune and you were staring at the water! There was a hurricane named Isabel in 2003 that wasn't so nice to Virginia Beach and the Tidewater area.  

The area I lived in was flooded, the fishing pier ended up a few blocks inland.  We came up to Cleveland before the storm hit, at that time it was predicted to make landfall being a category 5.  Now, I'm sure some of you have experience a hurricane or 2 so you might know what I'm saying.  I definitely wasn't waiting around to see it. 

My family was originally from Cleveland, and I still had a few relatives in the area. So we came here, ended up being here for 3 weeks. My husband decided to look for a job here, and took a job making a considerable less money. We've never regretted moving. I think it was the right time in our life to get out of Virginia. We had been discussing it for a year or so at the time and I believe if we hadn't had the push from the hurricane we would still be in Virginia Beach, miserable and wanting out.

I miss the beach, fishing from the shore, eating fresh caught croaker, puppy drum and going crabbing. Nothing like eating some crab you just pulled out of the sea!  I actually caught a shark one night. Yep, I was standing there with my feet in the water and the bell on my pole just started jingling like crazy. It was a fight! At first I thought it was an eel, til I got it almost right up to me. It was just a baby, but about 2 1/2 - 3 feet long ( that's no fish tale!). That was some good eating!! I'll have to tell the funny story of my husband trying to get that shark off the hook one day. It still cracks us up to think about it.

I miss the smell of the ocean and the roar of the surf. I laugh when people here in Cleveland say they are going to the beach. The itty bitty tiny stretch of sand they've laid down next to the lake. They have no idea what a beach is!  I tried freshwater fishing. There is nothing exciting about it, and I doubt I would ever try it again.  No dinner that night! 

No comments:

Post a Comment