Friday, October 19, 2012

Caramel Corn



Caramel Corn





I made this recipe as part of the activities for October. I have never thought to attempt to make caramel or caramel corn. Let me tell you, if you like caramel corn you have to try this!! It is better than anything you could ever buy from a store. And very easy to make.  I guess that's something that surprises me the most at times, how easy things are to make.   Here, let me show you...


First you pop your popcorn. You will need 4 quarts of popped corn. This was 1 cup of the unpopped kernels, and it measured perfectly to 4 Qts. 


Your ingredients:

1 cup brown sugar
1/2 c Karo Syrup (I used dark)
1/2 c Butter or Margarine
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp baking soda
1 tsp Vanilla extract

For the picture I had put the salt and the baking soda in the same bowl. Do NOT do this. You will need to add them at different times. Luckily I reread the recipe before I started adding ingredients to the pan.



&




=


Make sure you stir constantly like the instructions tell you. It took a few minutes for the butter to melt completely.



You get to relax and let it boil 5 minutes without stirring! 


Now you add the baking soda and the vanilla extract!



This is what it looks like after you add the last 2 ingredients.

Now it's time to pour over the popcorn and stir to coat.


Looking good!  
Bake in the oven at 250 degrees for 45 minutes, stirring occasionally.



You will note that I used a disposable aluminum pan. I followed the suggestions from some of the other reviewers on Allrecipes.com I am glad I did! The directions say to use a shallow baking pan.  I just don't see how that would have worked out.



When it the time is up. Take it out of the oven. You are supposed to spread it out on foil sprayed with cooking spray. I left it in the pan, Added some dry roasted peanuts.   As it cools it starts to harden up. You will end up having to break it up. 

This is a pretty easy recipe to make. It tastes great. I am really looking forward to making this again.


 Happy Eating!


I am an Allrecipes Allstar Brand Ambassador (a voluntary position) and I am not compensated for my work with Allrecipes.com. Products received from advertisers are only used for experienced-based reviews on Bundts n' Bowls. The reviews, content and opinions expressed in this blog are purely the sole opinions of T. Graham.













No comments:

Post a Comment