Thursday, December 27, 2012

Vinegar! 17 Amazing uses you can't live without!

About a year ago I was frustrated and looking for a way to get my plastic storage containers clean. I noticed they had a greasy slimy feel to them, and no matter how many times I washed them, it would not go away. I set out on a mission to save myself some money since these are not cheap to replace, especially all at the same time.  

I searched ways to get plastic containers clean, and found many websites that suggested using white distilled vinegar. I followed the directions on one site that said wash the container and then wipe down with rag and undiluted white vinegar. It worked!  I have since taken to just adding the vinegar to a sink load of dishes and find that it works just as well.

Who would have thought that there was more to vinegar than using it in salads and dying Easter eggs!  Here are just a few of the ways I have used vinegar around my house.  Do a search for uses of vinegar you may be surprised too!


  1. Add 1/2 c white distilled vinegar to a sink load of dirty dishes and fill with sink with hot water. It really helps to get that oily, greasy film feeling off your dishes and plastic.
  2. Clean counter tops with straight vinegar. I've left a rag soaked with vinegar sitting atop a kool-aid stain and it helped to lighten it. It did not completely get rid of the stain, but it is so light you can barely see it. I have to really look for it.
  3. I add water and vinegar in equal parts to clean the inside of my fridge. Helps with spills, just leave the rag laying on the spill. It also helps freshen the fridge and get rid of some funky smells!
  4. Full strength undiluted vinegar  and a sponge with a scrubber helps clean the stove hood and fan. This may take a little time, work in small areas. Mine was quite grubby.
  5. A cup of undiluted vinegar in a load of laundry that was forgotten in washing machine gets rid of the damp and mildew smell.
  6. I put a cup of vinegar in the pot from the coffee maker and fill the rest of the way up with hot water and let it sit at least a half hour. Empty it, and wipe inside with a cloth and then rinse. This loosens up and helps remove the coffee stains and deposits.
  7. I also add 1 cup of vinegar to the water reservoir and run it through to help with deposits and freshen the machine.
  8. when you have stickers or labels that won't come off from non porous surfaces you can soak a rag in vinegar and leave it laying on the area if possible. It should come off pretty easily. * This really helps get glue residue off glass and mirrors.
  9. Use a solution of equal parts water and vinegar to wipe down your shower curtain liner. I usually just drop it into the tub with vinegar and hot water, come back, wipe it down and rinse. 
  10. Wipe down shower walls and tub with undiluted vinegar to  help removed grime and scum. Rinse and repeat if necessary.
  11. I used diluted vinegar to wipe down the faucets in the bathroom and kitchen. It cleans off soap and toothpaste residue, and helps keep them smelling fresh.
  12. To get rid of mildewy or stale odors wipe down walls and doors with undiluted vinegar and a rag.
  13. Use full strength vinegar to wipe down doorknobs to kill germs.
  14. Add a cup of vinegar to a tub of hot water and add plastic baby toys to disinfect. 
  15. You can add vinegar to boiling water and add baby bottles to disinfect.
  16. If your scissors have become sticky or gunky you can wipe them down with a rag dipped in vinegar. This is one of my favorites!
  17. Use vinegar on a rag to clean the inside of the windshield in your automobile. 
There are literally hundreds of ways to use vinegar. These are the ones I have tried and  can verify work.  I am sure there are some that I have forgotten and if I remember them I will add them to this post. 

I encourage you to check out websites and books that offer the many uses for vinegar. I buy a gallon jug of vinegar when I go shopping and it usually last a month and half. I use it anytime I need to clean grimy, slimy, sticky or smelly things around the house. I tell anyone and every one I can about vinegar as often as I get a chance! Try it and you will too!


No comments:

Post a Comment