Sunday, November 18, 2012

Rocky Mountain Oysters... Dinner Danglers!

Rocky Mountain Oysters, Swinging Beef,  Montana Tendergroins, Dinner Danglers, Moo Marbles (this one made my daughter giggle) These are just a few of the nicknames I found when searching the web for recipes.

On a quest to try as many new things as possible, I checked off one more on the list. Today I bought a pair of Rocky Mountain Oysters from the butcher. I was there to pick up my beef heart and kidneys and it was only the second time I have ever seen them there, so I figured why not.  My daughter immediately wrinkled her nose and said she wouldn't be trying that. My husband (who's like Mikey.. he'll try anything) Said with a shrug "sure why not".

When I was standing there at the counter waiting for my order to be wrapped an elderly woman came up and was picking up an order for the same thing. I asked her how she prepared the "oysters". She said to boil them first then fry and make a gravy. Everything I had read was saying to fry them, but I had not read anywhere to boil them.  She and I talked a while longer while we waited and I decided I would try the method she told me about and go ahead and boil them.

OK. So I sometimes forget to take pictures until it's too late for that step. I do the best I can.. my memory isn't always so good. Here's what I did..



This is what the "oysters" look like when you get them from the butcher. 

He had already made small cuts in the membrane that needs to be peeled off.  I did not peel this until after I boiled it. I read that there are really easy to peel if they are frozen and you peel as it thaws.  I will try that next time.  


I just filled a pot with water to cover the oysters and set it to boil.


After I took them out and was able to peel them. Peeling was not so easy and I ended up having to cut off some of the membrane.  I sliced them up, I will say that they were considerably smaller after they are boiled which was a surprise. 


I seasoned flour with salt, pepper, garlic powder and onion powder. 


Yes, we are Buttertons. I cook with butter whenever I can. It is probably the most unhealthy thing I do.  I added some olive oil to make it healthy =)  (I had too much butter and ended up not using this at all, but just a tiny smidge out of this pan.)


Dirtied another pan to keep from using too much butter. 



This is with the gravy I made. Sorry the picture is so sloppy it was hard to keep the hubby's fingers out of it long enough to take a picture. 


I didn't use a recipe, didn't measure anything. It came out pretty good for a first time. Honestly it tastes like a cross between liver and beef kidney (which has a texture of chicken gizzards) if you've ever had that.  I wouldn't say there is anything special about it other than it being Moo Marbles. LOL.

For the price and the amount of meat it turned out to not be cost efficient and I probably won't make it again.  But hey! I got to check off one more thing off the list of stuff to try. 







No comments:

Post a Comment