Sunday, November 11, 2012

No Kidney punches here!



      My family is constantly on the look out for new recipes using meats and/or ingredients we have never eaten before. I have to say it has turned out pretty well so far. I know that some of the dishes we try are standard dishes in other parts of the country or around the world in other countries. 
     Before I continue, I would like to add a disclaimer, it is not my intention to offend anyone in any way. This is solely my opinions based on my personal experiences. I know that some people are extremely sensitive and I apologize in advance.

     Being one half of an inter-racial relationship has always been interesting in the kitchen. My husband grew up in a household that regularly ate pigs feet and chittlins', souse (head cheese), pigs ears and hog maws. I have since tried all of these things since we've been married. Some I like, others not so much!  My husband had never tried what his mother called "white people" food. Rice-a-roni, green bean casserole,  stove top stuffing, cabbage with ham and noodles and Corned beef and cabbage and many many more!  He has tried these and likes or loves some of them. There are somethings I know I will never get him to eat. Tuna casserole..well any dish that contains the word casserole (other than green bean casserole), anything containing tater tots, fish sticks, cheese wiz, or marshmallow fluff. 

     OK, so back to kidneys.  I am blessed to live 5 minutes from the West side Market here in Cleveland, Ohio. It has been standing for 100 years, they just celebrated the anniversary.  There is a butcher there that sells beef.  The market is only open on Mondays, Wednesdays, Fridays, and Saturday. Vince, my butcher takes off Mondays so he can cut his meat. He gets his big sides of beef and will even take special orders in advance. If you ever get to Cleveland, be sure to look him up. His stand is named after him.  Any how.. When I visited him last he had a Beef Kidney sitting in his display case. I bought it and began looking for recipes to use it in. Every recipe I found was for steak and kidney pie (which I do plan on trying). Recipe after recipe was pretty much the same.  I asked on the Buzz for suggestions and got some good answers. Don had a couple ideas that I really liked since it wasn't a pie. I love reading his answers to posts, and I was hoping he would answer mine. 

     I soaked the kidney in milk over night to draw out any not so pleasant taste. I am going to be adding the recipe to my recipe box and when I do I will post it.  I cut up the kidney and had some really tender thin steaks I cut in strips. I sauteed them in butter and olive oil, added some sliced onions and then made a gravy. I served this over rice and it was delicious!! I was worried about the texture of the kidneys since I sometimes have problems with different textures. It was perfect. Firm, not mushy or tough. It truly is something everyone should try.  The taste is pleasant and the steak goes very well with it. Next time I will try the Kidney and Steak pie.



Cleaning and prepping the kidney for its milk bath.


Doesn't that look good!


It sure did taste good!




No comments:

Post a Comment