Monday, March 11, 2013

Chicken Breasts with Swiss Cheese Casserole


 Last week one of the ladies at the church brought in a casserole.  Now, understand I am not a casserole type of person. Growing up my family never really made casseroles and I don't really give casseroles much thought. I really liked the casserole and asked for the recipe!  This is the recipe.  My husband who also did not grow up eating casseroles was skeptical. All I can say is that it did go over pretty well.  My daughter liked it, and even though my husband said it was "just okay" the entire baking dish was empty by the end of the night. I think they both went back for seconds and thirds.  i should I have taken a picture but I didn't have time! 



Chicken Breasts With Swiss Cheese
8 pieces skinless, boneless chicken breasts
8 pieces Swiss cheese
I can ( regular size) cream of chicken soup, undiluted
1/4 lb. fresh mushrooms (optional)
2 cups Pepperidge Farm Herb seasoned stuffing mix
1/2 cup butter or margarine, melted
1/4 cup dry white wine (optional)
1.  Place chicken k  13’x9”x2” pan.
2.  Place cheese on top of chicken.
3.  Spoon undiluted soup over all.
4.  Melt butter and mix with stuffing mix.
5.  Sprinkle above mixture on top.
6.  Bake, uncovered in 350 degree oven for 40- 45 minutes.
Serves eight.

I only had 3 large chicken breasts so I cut them up into chunks, but other than that I made the recipe as written. I'll admit I liked it better with the chicken cut up, made it easier to serve.  The only real complaint that I had was it came out a little salty. I used a store brand stuffing and I don't know if that affected the salt content and I will try different brand next time.

I made a romaine and cabbage salad with cukes, carrots and tomato. Very satisfying meal.  

No comments:

Post a Comment